- Laosheng Wu
- Professor of Soil Physics
- Cooperative Extension Water Management Specialist
- Associate Director, UC Center for Water Resources
- Department of Environmental Sciences
- UC Riverside
Principal research interests have been in the areas of measurement and modeling water and pollutant transport in field soils; development of best management practices to maximize water and fertilizer use efficiency and minimize surface and ground water pollution. At present, I am conducting research on irrigation uniformity effect on crop yield and nitrate leaching, infiltration measurement and modeling, shallow groundwater management, instrumentation for measuring soil physical properties, and developing proposals on turfgrass irrigation and salinity management.
- SWSC/ENSC 107 - Soil Physics, 1995-2003 (course outline)
- ENSC 101 - Water Resources, winter quarter
- 1987 to 1991: Ph.D, Soil Physics, Soil Science Department, University of Minnesota.
- 1985 to 1987: MS, Soil Physics, Department of Soil Science, Oregon State University.
- 1978 to 1981: BS, Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry. Zhejiang Agricultural University, Hangzhou, P. R. China.
- Associate Professor of Soil Physics and Cooperative Extension Water Management Specialist (2001-present), and
Assistant Professor of Soil Physics and CE Water Management Specialist (1994-2001):
- Department of Environmental Sciences
- University of California
- Riverside, CA 92521
- Postdoctoral Research Associate (April 1991 to June 1994), and
Graduate Research Assistant [Ph.D.] (July 1987 to March 1991):
- Department of Soil Science
- University of Minnesota
- St. Paul, MN 55108
- Graduate Research Assistant [M.S.] (June 1985 to June 1987):
- Department of Soil and Science
- Oregon State University
- Corvallis, OR 97331
SCIENTIFIC SOCIETY OFFICE AND COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS:
|Associate Director, Center for Water Resources||University of California (Jan 2003-present)|
|California State Water Quality Coordinator||USDA-CSREES National Water Quality Program (2001 to present)|
|Chair||Water Quality Workgroup, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of California (Jan. 2002 - Dec. 2002)|
|Chair||Agricultural Water Management Task Force, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of California (2000-2001)|
|Chair||Western Regional Soil Physics Research Committee (1998)|
|Secretary||Western Regional Soil Physics Research Committee (1997)|
|Treasurer||Gamma Sigma Delta, The Honor Society of Agriculture, UC-Riverside Chapter|
PROFESSIONAL/HONOR SOCIETIES MEMBERSHIP:
- Agronomy Society of America
- American Geophysical Union
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Gamma Sigma Delta, The Honor Society of Agriculture
REFEREED TECHNICAL JOURNAL ARTICLES:
- Yu, J., S. R. Zhan, L. Wu, and Z.X. Zhu. 1986. The magnetic susceptibility of soils in tropical and subtropical China. Acta Pedologic Sinica. 23:50 56.
- Wu, L., J.A. Vomocil, and S.W. Childs. 1990. Particle size, aggregate size, pore size, and water retention. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 54:952-956.
- Logsdon, S.D., R.R. Allmaras, L. Wu, and J.B. Swan. 1990. Macroporosity and its relation to saturated hydraulic conductivity under different tillage practices. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 54:1096-1101.
- Wu, L., J.B. Swan, W.H. Paulson, and G.W. Randall. 1992. Tillage effects on measured hydraulic properties. Soil & Tillage Research. 25:17-33.
- Wu, L., J.B. Swan, J.L. Nieber, and R.R. Allmaras. 1993. Soil-macropore and layer influences on saturated hydraulic conductivity measured with borehole permeameters. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 57: 17-923.
- Wu, L., J.B. Swan, R.R. Allmaras and S.D. Logsdon. 1995. Tillage and traffic influences on water and solute transport in corn-soybean systems. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 59:185-191.
- Wu, L., J.M. Baker, and R.R. Allmaras. 1995. Numerical and field evaluation of soil water sampled by suction lysimeters. J. of Environ. Quality. 24:147-152.
- Wu, L., R.R. Allmaras, J. B. Lamb, and K. E. Johnsen. 1996. Model sensitivity to measured and estimated hydraulic properties of a Zimmerman fine sand. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 60:1283-1290.
- Wu, L., W. A. Jury, A.C. Chang, and R.R. Allmaras. 1997. Time-series analysis of field-measured water content of a sandy soil. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 61:736-742.
- Pang, X. J. Letey, and L. Wu. 1997. Yield and nitrogen uptake prediction by CERES-Maize model under semiarid conditions. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 61:254-256.
- Pang, X. J. Letey, and L. Wu. 1997. Irrigation quantity and uniformity and nitrogen application effects on crop yield and nitrogen leaching. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 61:257-261.
- Wu, L. and L. Pan. 1997. A generalized solution to infiltration from single-ring infiltrometers by scaling. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 61:1318-1322.
- Wu, L., R.R. Allmaras, D. Gimenez, and D.M. Huggins. 1997. Shrinkage and water retention characteristic in a fine-textured Mollisol compacted under different axle loads. Soil & Tillage Res. 44:179-194.
- Wu, L., L. Pan, M. J. Roberson, and P. J. Shouse. 1997. Numerical evaluation of ring-infiltrometers under various soil conditions. Soil Sci. 162:771-777.
- Pan, L. and L. Wu. 1998. A hybrid global optimization method for inverse estimation of hydraulic parameters: Annealing-Simplex method. Water Resour. Res. 34:2261-2269.
- Flury, M., Q. J. Wu, L. Wu, and L. Xu. 1998. Analytical solution for solute transport with depth-dependent transformation or sorption coefficients. Water Resour. Res. 34:2931-2937.
- Wu, L., W. Chen, J. M. Baker, and J. B. Lamb. 1999. Evaluation of the Root Zone Water Quality Model using field measured data from a sandy soil. Agron. J. 91:177-182.
- Wu, L., L. Pan, J. Mitchell, B. Sanden. 1999. Measuring saturated hydraulic conductivity using a generalized solution for single-ring infiltrometers. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 63:788-792.
- Wang, Z., L. Wu, and Q. J. Wu, 2000. Water-entry value as an indicator of soil water repellency and wettability. Journal of Hydrology. 231-232: 76-83.
- Wang, Z., Q.J. Wu, L. Wu, C.J. Ritsema, L.W. Dekker, and J. Feyen, 2000. Effects of soil water repellency on infiltration rate and flow instability. Journal of Hydrology. 231-232: 265-276.
- Leung, S., L. Wu, J. Mitchell, and B. Sanden. 2000. Nitrate leaching and soil nitrate content as affected by irrigation uniformity in a carrot field. Agri. Water Management. 48:37-50.
- Mitchell, J. P., S.E. Allaire-Lueng, J. B. Sanden, L. Wu. 2000. Sprinkler spacing does not affect carrot Yield and Quality. HortTechnology. 10:370-373.
- Feng, G., J. Letey, L. Wu. 2001. Water ponding depths affect temporal infiltration rates in a water-repellent sand. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 65:315-320.
- Green, R. L., L. Wu, and G. Klin. 2001. Summer cultivation increases field infiltration rates of water and reduces soil electrical conductivity on annual bluegrass putting greens. HortScience. 36: 776-779.
- Wu, L. T. Skaggs, P. Shouse, and J. Ayas. 2001. State space analysis of soil water and salinity regimes in a loam soil underlain by shallow groundwater. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 65:1065-1074.
- Lu, J. H. and L. Wu. 2001. Spectrophotometric determination of polyacrylamide in waters containing dissolved organic matter. J. Agri. and Food Chemistry. 49:4177-4182.
- Lu, J. H., L. Wu, and J. Letey. 2002. Effects of Soil and Water Properties on Anionic Polyacrylamide Sorption. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 66:578-584.
- Wu, L. R.L. Green, G. Liu, M. V. Yates, P. Pacheco, J. Gan, and S. R. Yates. 2002. Partitioning and Persistence of Trichlorfon and Chlorpyrifos in a Creeping Bentgrass Putting Green. J. Environ. Quality. 31:889-895.
- Wu, L., G. Liu, M. V. Yates, R. Green, P. Pacheco, J. Gan, and S. R. Yates. 2002. Environmental Fate of Metalaxyl and Chlorothalonil Applied on a Bentgrass Putting Green under Southern California Climate. Pest Management Sci. 58:335-342.
- G. Liu, L. Wu, J. Zhang, Y. Li. 2002. Four Pesticides Partitioning features in turf grass and comparison between two simulation models. ACTA Scientiae Circumstantiae. 22:261-266.
- Zhi, Wang, J. Lu, L. Wu, T, Harter, W. A. Jury. 2002. Visualizing preferential flow paths using ammonium carbonate and a pH indicator. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 66:347-351.
- G. L. Feng, J. Letey, L. Wu. 2002. The influence of two surfactants on infiltration into a water-repellent soil. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 66:361-367.
- Lu, J., Laosheng Wu, John Letey, and Walter J. Farmer. 2002. Anionic Polyacrylamide Effects on Soil Sorption and Desorption of Metolachlor, Atrazine, 2,4-D, and Picloram. J Environ Qual. 31: 1226-1233.
- Lu, J., Laosheng Wu, John Letey, and Walter J. Farmer. 2002. Picloram and Napropamide Sorption as Affected by Polymer Addition and Salt Concentration. J Environ Qual. 31: 1234-1239.
- Lu, J. and L. Wu. 2002. Spectrophotometric determination of substrate-borne polyacrylamide. J. Food & Agri. Chem. 50:5038-5041.
- G. L. Feng, L. Wu, and J. Letey. 2002. Evaluating aeration criteria by simultaneous measurement of oxygen diffusion rate and soil-water regime. Soil Sci. 167:495-503.
- Zhi Wang, L. Wu, T. Harter, J. Lu, and W. A. Jury. 2002. A Field Study of Unstable Preferential Flow during Soil Water Redistribution. Water Resour. Res. (Accepted on 6/4/02. 40 manuscript pages).
- J.L. Johnson-Maynard, R.C. Graham, L. Wu, and P.J. Shouse. 2002. Modification of soil structural and hydraulic properties after 50 years of imposed chaparral and pine vegetation. Geoderma. 110: 227-240.
- Lu, J. and L. Wu. 2002. Visualizing Br- tracer in preferential flow study. J. Environ. Qual. 32:363-367.
- Lu, J. and L. Wu. 2003. Polyacrylamide distribution in columns of organic mater removed soils following surface application. J. Environ. Qual. 32:674-680.
- Wang, Z., A. C. Chang, L. Wu, and D. Crowley. 2003. Assessing the soil quality of long-term reclaimed wastewater-irrigated cropland. Geoderma. 114:261-278.
- Wu, L., G. Feng, J. Letey, L. Ferguson, J. Mitchell, B. Sanden, and G. Markegard. 2003. Soil management effects on the nonlimiting water range. Geoderma. 114:401-414.
- Lu, J., L. Wu, and J. Gan. 2003. Determination of Polyacrylamide in Soil Waters by Size Exclusion Chromatography. J. Environ. Qual. 32:1922-1926.
- Lu, J. and L. Wu. 2003. Polyacrylamide Quantification Methods in Soil Conservation Studies. J. Soil Water Conservation (in press).
- Pan, G., L. Li, L. Wu, and X. Zhang. 2003. Storage and sequestration potential of topsoil organic carbon in China's paddy soils. Global Change Biology. 10: 79-92.
- Wu, L. 2003. Soil Water Diffusion. In (Stewart and Howell eds.) Encyclopedia of Water Science. Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York. Pp. 865-867.
- Wang, D. and L. Wu. 2003. Ring and Tension Infiltrometers. In (Stewart and Howell eds.) Encyclopedia of Water Science. Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York. Pp. .812-815.